Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2002, 15:02   #1
ubimow

head shots on coyotes with 9mm??

I am wondering if a head shot at close range with a 9mm would kill a coyote easily?
ubimow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 20:02   #2
sooner pete
STOOPS FOR PRES

In my opinion it would,but I don't think you can get close enough for a head shot.

Last edited by sooner pete; 08-26-2002 at 05:21..
sooner pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:19   #3
mpol777
Feral Member

9mm isn't a very good caliber if you're wanting to keep the pelt as it will pass straight through a coyote at pistol ranges. if your just looking for something to kill a trapped coyote or put one down that you've wounded a 22lr will be just fine at 15 yards or so.

if you just have some coyote pests a 9mm to the chest will definately drop them if you can hit 'em. coyotes aren't as stout of animals as most people think. their bone and muscle is pretty weak. how much power do you really need to kill a 25-30lb dog at 20 yards?
Old 08-26-2002, 14:24   #4
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
ahhhhh the coyote question on another board. Coyotes are much stronger then people give them credit for. Head shots in my opion is not only a bad choice of targets but the 9mm for coyote is a bad choice for hunting coyote. Taking a head shot can hurt the coyote and yet not kill him, leaving him to run around in p** poor shape. Hunters should always use enough gun to take the game their after not maybe enough gun. We have enough trouble with the anti-hunting crowd without a coyote with a jaw hanging down running around with a 9mm slug in him. Do yourself, me and the coyote a favor and use ENOUGH gun, i.e... .357 mag and up or .222 and up. Rimfires and 9mm's do not have a place in coyote hunting.

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 14:43   #5
mpol777
Feral Member

http://www.coyotegods.com/

my boss knows these guys personally. i have watched their video and they really know what they are doing. both john henry and vic use the .17 remington. if you watch the video you'll understand why. the guy makes some truly amazing shots, on cue.

lot of good info on coyotes from guys who have killed more than most people have even seen.
Old 08-26-2002, 17:50   #6
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by TScottW99
ahhhhh the coyote question on another board. Coyotes are much stronger then people give them credit for. Head shots in my opion is not only a bad choice of targets but the 9mm for coyote is a bad choice for hunting coyote. Taking a head shot can hurt the coyote and yet not kill him, leaving him to run around in p** poor shape. Hunters should always use enough gun to take the game their after not maybe enough gun. We have enough trouble with the anti-hunting crowd without a coyote with a jaw hanging down running around with a 9mm slug in him. Do yourself, me and the coyote a favor and use ENOUGH gun, i.e... .357 mag and up or .222 and up. Rimfires and 9mm's do not have a place in coyote hunting.
concur
Old 08-27-2002, 22:48   #7
duncan
Lifetime Membership

We see coyotes around Seattle suburbs regularly.

Almost hit two of them last night hunting rabbits along a canal.
Old 08-28-2002, 22:28   #8
Quake Guy
Superior Member

How can a 9mm not kill a coyote given decent shot placement (not just head). You are talking about a round that is used against man size targets.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:35   #9
mpol777
Feral Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Quake Guy
How can a 9mm not kill a coyote given decent shot placement (not just head). You are talking about a round that is used against man size targets.
it can kill a coyote just fine, but it depends on the purpose that you are using it for. like was said above 9mm isn't that great to hunt coyotes. i think you would do just fine under 40 yards. if you can hit the vitals. coyotes don't have the muscle mass or bone structure to require mass amounts of energy to penetrate. if you poke a 124gr bullet only a few inches into one's chest it is over.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:52   #10
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by TScottW99
...use ENOUGH gun, i.e... .357 mag and up or .222 and up. Rimfires and 9mm's do not have a place in coyote hunting.
While I have to agree that a 9mm isn't a good coyote hunting gun if you are concerned about the pelt, I have to take issue with your comment about it not having enough power. It's simply not true. A .22lr will reliably kill a coyote if you hit it in the vitals. That's what all the old farmers used for dispatching coyotes that got too close to the farms back home, and I have personally seen several clean kills and no wounding (given a well placed shot to the heart/lungs). My dad shot a coyote with his .380 last year, and the 90 grain HydraShok dropped it in it's tracks. A 9mm will easily take a coyote, even if the hit isn't perfectly placed.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:30   #11
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
guys this discussion has been hit on about every hunting board that i've visited. i'm surprised that so many people think the 22lr is a good coyote choice. a 9mm would be fine if shooting for a "vital" shot at 20 yards and under but that's it! a .22lr should never be use to hunt coyotes unless you have one in a trap and need to dispatch it. my whole point is this... a coyote is a LOT stronger then people and hunters give it credit. why shoot any animal with a gun that might kill it? sure a .22lr will kill a yote, deer, human, bear, etc... if fired exactly right with all the right conditions and the target is holding it's mouth right... but why??? use a .223 or a .222. You won't hurt the pelt if you use a bullet like the V-max bullet which only penetrates 12-14". Hunters are looked at bad enough without a bunch of yote's running around crippled by .22lr rounds and 9mm rounds. Not to mention that no animal should suffer because your lack of caliber choice.

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:45   #12
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

So you guys think a 9mm isn't enough to take a coyote but a .17 or .22 is? And what color is the sky in your world?

A 9mm hollow point will take out a coyote with no problem unless you shoot him in the tail. If you can pull off a head shot on one that hits the top of his head and not his nose he will drop instantly. A body shot anywhere in the chest should drop one on the spot. A 9mm carbine would make a fine coyote killer out to 100 yards.

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 23:47   #13
mikescooling

When I bow Hunt,,, I some times see a deer running by at full bore and then the dogs running behind. A nine is great for dogs. Aim for the chest, the heads is two small for a moving target.
O U asked about coyotes, I like coyotes and have not had any problems with them. I only see a stray once in a wile. I have never felt threatened by coyotes and they look neat.
mikescooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 00:34   #14
ubimow

I guess I should specify why I was going to shoot a coyote with a 9mm. I had one trapped in a box type trap and wanted to kill it quickly. My choices were the 9mm and a 12 ga. shotgun. Of course I choose the shotgun but I was just curious if the 9mm would work.
ubimow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 00:41   #15
mikescooling

Be careful of the shrapnel blowing back at you and take more ammo than you think you'll need. Killing things do not all ways go as planed.
mikescooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 15:48   #16
VADER

what year is this??
VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 23:33   #17
Quake Guy
Superior Member

Found online:

The coyote has the appearance of a medium-sized dog or a
small German Shepherd. Coyotes are about one and a half to two
feet tall and between forty-one and fifty-three inches long.
Weight ranges from twenty to fifty pounds.

20 to 50 pounds and you wonder if a 9mm isn't good enough. There may be accuracy issues depending on the platform, and it will mess up the hide, but it will work...
Old 09-03-2002, 02:22   #18
DJ Niner

TScottW99,
Have you ever popped a 'yote broadside with one of those V-Max loads? I did, and the whole snowy hillside behind him turned red. Coulda dropped a softball in the exit hole -- and LOST it. Pelt damage? WHAT pelt!

Fast-expanders are fine for called critters, where the shot is front-to-back, or back-to-front as they attempt to depart the area (a "Texas heart shot" ;f), but not for broadside shots. VERRRRRY messy on occasion. I prefer .223 FMJs and headshots when possible; body shots to the vitals will kill them, just not right away, so just plan on some hiking if they're fired-up when you pop'em in the body.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 00:36   #19
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Niner
I prefer .223 FMJs and headshots when possible; body shots to the vitals will kill them...
Good idea, but hunting with FMJ ammo is illegal in many states. Be sure to check and see that it is legal in your area before using it. I'm assuming that the original poster already has, so this is more of a warning for those reading the thread.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:22   #20
DJ Niner

Excellent point that I failed to mention, PlasticGuy. It's okay where I live for fur animals and varmints, but not for big game; can't even legally have FMJs with you while deer hunting.

If FMJs are NOT a legal option, I'd go with heavy-for-the-caliber softpoints, designed for bigger game; on small-bodied critters, they'd probably perform similarly to a FMJ.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote