Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2009, 22:36   #1
Halmstad

friends visiting from sweden

I have some friends visiting from Sweden February 3 and you guys have any idea of some local restaurants / bars they may find cool.

I was thinking fat mats, Marietta diner, vortex , clermont lounge ..... sorry i just think they need to see it once. Any good country music establishment to take them ?

these Swedes are a rare thing they love the states and shooting and came to Georgia just to get a chance at shooting with out red tape.
Halmstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:16   #2
StoneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halmstad View Post
I have some friends visiting from Sweden February 3 and you guys have any idea of some local restaurants / bars they may find cool.

I was thinking fat mats, Marietta diner, vortex , clermont lounge ..... sorry i just think they need to see it once. Any good country music establishment to take them ?

these Swedes are a rare thing they love the states and shooting and came to Georgia just to get a chance at shooting with out red tape.
Not sure how many Mexican restaraunts they have over in Sweden, but it might be an interesting experience for them.

EDIT: Cinqo's is a pretty good Mexican restaraunt up Peachtree Industrial between Duluth and Suwanee. It's a little more upscale than your typical strip mall chain Mexican restaraunts. Highly recommended.

Last edited by StoneDog; 01-24-2009 at 08:23..
StoneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:37   #3
thooks

Fat Mat's is the nastiest BBQ place I have ever been to. Nothing but nasty fat. Nasty spare ribs, not baby backs, nasty BBQ not cooked near enough.

I'll never go there again.

I'd say try BBQ-1 in East Cobb near Lower Roswell and Johnson Ferry. They make real BBQ...slow smoked pulled pork. They have a variety of sauces. Williamson Bros is a second choice.

Marietta Diner is a must. Make darn sure you go there after not eating for atleast 6 hours and take it slow so you can get one of the gi-normous desserts.

You might consider a cocktail at the place atop the circular hotel in downtown---forget the name. Take MARTA down there to the Peachtree Center Station. Easy. make sure it's a clear afternoon/night. And that ya'll aren't too afraid of heights, it's a straight 70+ floor elevator ride up in a glass elevator.

I'm sorry, but I think everyone needs to eat a barbacoa burrito with rice, pintos, cheese and sour cream at the Cumberland Chipotle. Serious.

Ray's on the River is nice...great food. I'm not a fan of crab cakes, but good grief. I can eat theirs all night. Little pricey. Get reservations and it's valet parking only.

Mexican? There's this joint on Buford Highway, deep into the perimeter. I can't remember where it is exactly, I'll try to dig that up. I'd skip the Los Bravos and other commercialized establishments.

Please try to limit them to only one or two chain joints. For goodness sake, please, please, please don't take them to Chili's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, or the like. The ONLY freaking chain type joint I'd even consider is the Longhorn at Johnson Ferry and Lower Roswell. I've never had a bad meal there.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:40   #4
Halmstad

hey thanks good advice about the hotel they would like that. No worries about taking them to a chain establishment i dislike them as well ... why applebees is in business i will never understand i swear it is all microwaved food.

Mexican is rare in Sweden and Germany and when you find it is is not at all spicy.

thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 20:32   #5
Jenell
No. Period.

Send a message via AIM to Jenell Send a message via Yahoo to Jenell
Mary Mac's is the quintessential restaurant representing the south and all that's good. Gotta take em there. Hmmm where else would be good. Clairmont Lounge really? Ick! Def the Vortex. For country music go to Cowboys in Kennesaw. Usually have live bands on the weekends. Even the house band is great though! Take em to one of those Brazillian restaurants too for all you can eat meat and trimmings. Or a Bennihana's for them to cook it in front of you. I'm sure they'll enjoy just being in GA period.
Old 01-29-2009, 22:11   #6
Halmstad

for sure cowboys a lot of swedes and Germans are real interested in the south and country music. Oh brother where art thou was popular in Sweden and the sound track was on the radio their.

Sorry the clairmont is unique and is so sleazy i must show them...and yes ick !

mary mac never been their is it the place with the cinnamon buns ? I always have to take them crispy creme so maybe super sweet cinnamon rolls is a good idea.
Old 01-31-2009, 21:15   #7
BBBodeen
CLM Number 228
Charter Lifetime Member

Mary Mac's & Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenell View Post
Mary Mac's is the quintessential restaurant representing the south and all that's good. Gotta take em there. Hmmm where else would be good. Clairmont Lounge really? Ick! Def the Vortex. For country music go to Cowboys in Kennesaw. Usually have live bands on the weekends. Even the house band is great though! Take em to one of those Brazillian restaurants too for all you can eat meat and trimmings. Or a Bennihana's for them to cook it in front of you. I'm sure they'll enjoy just being in GA period.

I agree completely with Jenell on both Mary Mac's and Cowboys. Each is a good representation of their respective genre.

And if you take them to Cowboys they might enjoy a drive through Downtown Kennesaw, perhaps even a look at The General.

But they won't get better food than Mary Mac's.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36   #8
Jenell
No. Period.

Send a message via AIM to Jenell Send a message via Yahoo to Jenell
Quote:
for sure cowboys a lot of swedes and Germans are real interested in the south and country music. Oh brother where art thou was popular in Sweden and the sound track was on the radio their.

Sorry the clairmont is unique and is so sleazy i must show them...and yes ick !

mary mac never been their is it the place with the cinnamon buns ? I always have to take them crispy creme so maybe super sweet cinnamon rolls is a good idea.
Mary Mac's is down home cooking. Their bread pudding is to die for. But the fried okra and country fried steak is great too... everything there is amazing. Broccoli casserole, mashed potatos with gravy, green beans. You name it they've got it.
Old 02-09-2009, 14:53   #9
thooks

Well...

How was the trip? What did you take them to?
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:12   #10
Halmstad

was fun they were only in Atlanta Wednesday and Thursday funny thing is those days it was colder here than Sweden HAHA and they had left by the time the beautiful weather came this weekend... the guys are coming back the end of February after a tour of the deep south. Mobile, key West, New Orleans. I will have some more time then to show them around they wanted to see the museam of the south and the cyclorama and stone mountain.

went shooting at nicks indoor range... browning hi power and smith&wesson model 15 when they come back in to Atlanta we will go shooting some Ar15 when these guys were in the Swedish army they used the AK4 which is a copy of a G3

For dinner we went to outback not my choice and the vortex my choice One guy had the triple by pass !! I ordered them a Pabst Blue Ribbon as a joke but they liked them go figure Will tell you more when they come back.
Old 02-09-2009, 20:28   #11
dissthis
Gun Fan

I bartended a party Saturday night that was attended by a lot of Swedes (guest of honor is a Swede)
MAN they can DRINK!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

dissthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:51   #12
Halmstad

man you said it !!! i have seen stuff in Sweden that would blow your mind .... i swear the average American would be dead and that is just what the women can drink ha ha

Only the Danish can top the swedes in drinking
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37   #13
Halmstad

Friends came back in to town yesterday and we went to a place in Kennesaw called the cave tapas bar and it is great ... costly but a good place to hang out. After that we went to the clairmont lounge and it was a hit with them so bizarre it works. Last place was cowboys man it has gone downhill since the 90's almost no country being played way too much hip hop.

Aside from the weather they have a good impression of Atlanta
Old 03-01-2009, 13:00   #14
bradp

Quote:
Friends came back in to town yesterday and we went to a place in Kennesaw called the cave tapas bar and it is great ... costly but a good place to hang out. After that we went to the clairmont lounge and it was a hit with them so bizarre it works. Last place was cowboys man it has gone downhill since the 90's almost no country being played way too much hip hop.

Aside from the weather they have a good impression of Atlanta
When I lived in ATL in the 90's I dated a model from Buckhead and we loved Cowboys. A shame to hear it closed.