GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:49   #1
Averon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Building a Computer

Hi all,
I'm thinking about building a computer.
I'd like it to be a high end system capable of running 2 or 3 operating systems at the same time.
What hardware(case, motherboard, hard drives, processor, etc) should I be looking to get?
I think I'd like to run Ubuntu and and Windows XP, but I'm not sure if I want to run XP through Ubuntu or Ubuntu through XP.
Which would give me the best performance?
Also which VM software would be recommended?
I only have experience with virtual box, so I'm not sure how it compares to others.
Averon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:00   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


I'm personally not a fan of running Virtual OS's.. I find them all slow.... I'd use whichever one you plan to use the most as the Host OS, and the other as the guest. Load up on RAM, use 64bit versions of the OS's to take advantage of it.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 18:50   #3
3 weelin geezer
Senior Member
 
3 weelin geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the edge of insanity
Posts: 1,123
I personally am not a fan of x-box sized cases. Mine is a minitower (tower preferred but they don't seem to make them) that is sideways on the table with an extra exhaust fan on the side(top) to suck the heat from the video card out. How big is your desk?
Go with Vista if you want more than 2 gigs as xp doesn't handle any more. How much crap do you accumulate on your drive? You may not need one of the infinate byte drives. RAM is always good. What kind of applications do you want to run through the processor? Unless you fun something like GTA 4, a modest (cheap) one will do or you end up with a lot of lagg and slow gameplay. Most importantly is the video card IMHO as it seems to be the bottleneck in the system. A GT 8400 won't run this game very fast though it looks cool when you try to change direction real fast. The background blurs a lot and it looks cool. The 9800 GT works perfect but its very hot which made the system lock up until I put the 120 mm. fan in.

At work, we use the core 2 duo but I don't think it is used anywhere near its potential as all we do is handle text applications and the video card is a measly ATI PCI card (very low end).

Why do you need seperate op systems? What does that do? For business?
3 weelin geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08   #4
jolt8me
Your the devil
 
jolt8me's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,962
The 64bit version of windows xp supports up to 128gb's of ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 weelin geezer View Post
I personally am not a fan of x-box sized cases. Mine is a minitower (tower preferred but they don't seem to make them) that is sideways on the table with an extra exhaust fan on the side(top) to suck the heat from the video card out. How big is your desk?
Go with Vista if you want more than 2 gigs as xp doesn't handle any more. How much crap do you accumulate on your drive? You may not need one of the infinate byte drives. RAM is always good. What kind of applications do you want to run through the processor? Unless you fun something like GTA 4, a modest (cheap) one will do or you end up with a lot of lagg and slow gameplay. Most importantly is the video card IMHO as it seems to be the bottleneck in the system. A GT 8400 won't run this game very fast though it looks cool when you try to change direction real fast. The background blurs a lot and it looks cool. The 9800 GT works perfect but its very hot which made the system lock up until I put the 120 mm. fan in.

At work, we use the core 2 duo but I don't think it is used anywhere near its potential as all we do is handle text applications and the video card is a measly ATI PCI card (very low end).

Why do you need seperate op systems? What does that do? For business?
__________________
"So you're a feminist. Isn't that cute?"

When life gives you aids, you make lemonaids.
jolt8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07   #5
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,487


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'm personally not a fan of running Virtual OS's.. I find them all slow.... I'd use whichever one you plan to use the most as the Host OS, and the other as the guest. Load up on RAM, use 64bit versions of the OS's to take advantage of it.

IGF
So, you've never dealt with an S390, is what you're saying
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 14:43   #6
AmriiBacchus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
I'd say ASUS P5Q-PRO Q9550 basic video card say a 9600 8 gigs of ocz fatality ram 1.5 seagate 7200.11 TT pure power PSU 500 watt should be fine and any case should be fine as well as any dvd drive put 64 bit Vista install VMware and run ubuntu allocating 1 gig of ram. that should be more then enough for around 1000 or less
AmriiBacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 16:01   #7
bill-hhh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 408
I beleive XP can handle 4gb ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...its_windows_xp)

And If you have the room, a server case is the way to go (lots of room and beefier power supply)
bill-hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 16:05   #8
Oribis
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmriiBacchus View Post
I'd say ASUS P5Q-PRO Q9550 basic video card say a 9600 8 gigs of ocz fatality ram 1.5 seagate 7200.11 TT pure power PSU 500 watt should be fine and any case should be fine as well as any dvd drive put 64 bit Vista install VMware and run ubuntu allocating 1 gig of ram. that should be more then enough for around 1000 or less

It really depends on how much money you want/have to spend in order to make some solid recommendations. If money is not an object, I would say go with one of the LGA 1366 mobo/processors.

As for the above suggestion, only thing I would disagree with is the TT PSU. I hate Thermaltake power supplies. Much rather choose a Seasonic, pretty much everyone of their power supplies is rated >80% and a few of the nicer ones are modular which is a huge plus.
__________________
Glock 30 .45 ACP
Florida Glocker #927
Oribis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18   #9
AmriiBacchus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Im just a little bias with the tt from ownership though newegg has a 700w with 4 rails that I might upgrade to.. +1 on the budget give us a dollar amount and we can have your head spining on a bad ass computer
AmriiBacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09   #10
bamarammin87
h8tr
 
bamarammin87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chihuahuan Desert, TX
Posts: 4,782
Go with my specs...
Phenom II 940 3.0x4(running at 3.5 )
Biostar TForce ta790gx 128m motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750gb HD 32mb cache
G-Skill Pi pc8500 1066 ram 2x2gb
Sapphire Toxic OC'd 4870 1gb video card
Corsair tx650w psu
Thermaltake M9 case
Windows Vista Ultimate 64
Artic Cooling Freezer64 pro cpu cooler
and arriving at the house today, Asus 25.5 1900x1200 lcd monitor
Under 1000 total, that's including the monitor. It helped that I get vista free tho.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:22   #11
Big Dog Dad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: S.W. Pa
Posts: 307
Check out this website

Take a look at this website. He has a lot of good info and I don't think he has any affiliation with any of his recommendations (strange concept anymore.)

http://www.mysuperpc.com/

-=BDD=-
__________________
NRA Life Member
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Big Dog Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 18:53   #12
DoubleWide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,308
Budget and what do you want to do on it?

You can drop a bunch on a video card, but if you're not playing games or designing it could be wasted money.

For the most part, you want to usually get the most bang for the buck. You buy the newest thing and it'll be half price inside 6 months. If it's what you want to spend money on go ahead though.

Plus do you want or need 3 or 4 OS's at the same time? For me, I'm almost never doing to useful things on different OS's. I've got a KVM (don't use the v) to hop between 2 computers and two monitors right now. I also know I won't crash one and screw up what the other one is doing.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 20:00   #13
betyourlife
on a GLOCK
 
betyourlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,553
Agreed on the KVM, but I think the idea of using virtual servers is really picking up a lot of speed in the IT world. We are heavily investing in them at work. The Server folks are really pushing them and I can see why.

Learning how to use a virtual server is a good thing to have on ones resume. At our company only one guy knows how...
betyourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 18:39   #14
Jack_Stroker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas-Ft. Worth area
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averon View Post
Hi all,
I'm thinking about building a computer.
I'd like it to be a high end system capable of running 2 or 3 operating systems at the same time.
What hardware(case, motherboard, hard drives, processor, etc) should I be looking to get?
I think I'd like to run Ubuntu and and Windows XP, but I'm not sure if I want to run XP through Ubuntu or Ubuntu through XP.
Which would give me the best performance?
Also which VM software would be recommended?
I only have experience with virtual box, so I'm not sure how it compares to others.
What do you want to do with the system? What is your budget? Why are you not considering Vista x64 bit for the OS?
Jack_Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:14.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,175
286 Members
889 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42