Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2009, 20:20   #1
passive101

Why should I not buy a Glock 29 SF?

I'm selling a Kahr MK9 which will give me enough money to possibly buy a glock 27 or a glock 29 SF.

I have a glock 26.

Can you use a full size barrel in a glock 29 SF? Any negative side effects to this?

why should I not buy one? Give me a good reason

mmmmmm power
passive101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:23   #2
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Duh, its a 10mm??? Odd ball caliber = expensive ammo and tough resell.
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:24   #3
OD GASTON
05' RUBICON

one word.....ammo.
OD GASTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:34   #4
dougader

You might post this to the 10 Ring, too, (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38) to check into answers to your questions, but I don't think you can use the G20 barrel in a G29; you'd have to get an aftermarket barrel if you want a longer barrel for the 29.

Ammo for the 10mm is best ordered online, so check availability to see for yourself.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:52   #5
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive101 View Post
Can you use a full size barrel in a glock 29 SF? Any negative side effects to this?
dougader is correct, the lugs are different, just like the G21/30 lugs.

General Glocking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:57   #6
CalmWaters

Quote:
why should I not buy one? Give me a good reason
More importantly why SHOULDN'T you
CalmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:59   #7
dougader

Why are you selling the Kahr? I thought you loved that gun.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
Old 02-11-2009, 21:48   #8
87'vette

G29!

You won't regret it. As for ammo....reload.
87'vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 21:57   #9
passive101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
Why are you selling the Kahr? I thought you loved that gun.
I do. I just want something different, because I can
Old 02-11-2009, 22:19   #10
Mike from Texas

Don't let the haters talk you out of a G29, it's a great gun. Ammo is not THAT much more than 45ACP.
A few ARs
870 Express Tactical, Mossberg 930 SPX
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:48   #11
Not Simple

I feel the same way the 10mm is an awsome round i think that once you get used to it you will be very happy you made the move. Most of the people who bad mouth the 10mm. are those first wh have little if any experience with it and those who perceive it to be cost prohibitive.

I say that it's just like anything else take the .357 Sig for example there are still those who bad mouth that round saying things like it's just too expensive to shoot. if you are a reloader you will enjoy it very much. If not then of course you will have to work within the limit of your available funds.

Now that said, Buy the Model 29 carry it with absolute confidence and know that not much will over power it. It will not rip your wrist off it is a hand full but certainly a tameable beast.

Long live the 10mm.

:motorcycle:Your wife wants to know why you want to buy another gun. You wonder why she wants to buy another pair of shoes. But DO NOT ask. Take her out to dinner, a nice dinner and I don't mean The Pizza and a Six Pack Cafe.
Not Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:55   #12
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmWaters View Post
More importantly why SHOULDN'T you
+1 on that.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:02   #13
passive101

Is it true that it is unsupported and it wrecks the brass?

I know nothing about reloading, have never done it, but may in the future if I chose to buy such a beast.

I'm also curious about having a round that would be good against black bears or other large creatures while hiking However I may want a full length barrel for that. Would the glock 29 be able to take the pressure of a full length barrel? Where would I buy one from?
Old 02-11-2009, 23:03   #14
dougader

Quote:
I do. I just want something different, because I can
I hear you. I owned, carried and competed with a G19 for ages and then just got a bug and switched to a G30. Sometimes I miss that G19, but I love the G30 too.

Have you posted the Kahr for sale?

Old 02-11-2009, 23:11   #15
dougader

Quote:
Is it true that it is unsupported and it wrecks the brass?

I know nothing about reloading, have never done it, but may in the future if I chose to buy such a beast.

I'm also curious about having a round that would be good against black bears or other large creatures while hiking However I may want a full length barrel for that. Would the glock 29 be able to take the pressure of a full length barrel? Where would I buy one from?
You really need to start reading in the 10 Ring. Guys have even hunted american bison with the 10mm. Not that I recommend it.

Mike McNett of Double Tap has loads of loading data posted in the 10 reloading room here, and lots of guys have carried the G29 and G20 for personal protection and as a woods gun.

The stock barrel is pretty good, but if you are going to really push loads looking for that nuclear load to carry then a Lone Wolf, KKM, Jarvis, etc. offers more chamber support than stock.

I had a G20 and shot DT ammo through the stock barrel with no bad bulging problems like some people see with their 40 S&W Glocks.

I would not feel undergunned with a 10mm as a woods gun unless the black bears ran exceptionally large. Grizzly or Alaskan browns are another story. The DT with the 200 grain XTP bullet is a formidable round.

If my G20 had been the SF frame, I'd still have it. I still have my DT ammo that's loaded with the 200 grain Beartooth hardcast slug because it was originally only offered as a limited, one-time offering. I always intended to get another 10mm. Now that the SF frame is here...

Last edited by dougader; 02-11-2009 at 23:14..
Old 02-11-2009, 23:16   #16
dougader

Desert Scout has posted his results with the 180 grain xtp bullet and successful deer hunting out to 80-100+ yards. Look for his posts. Glolt 20-91 has also posted good info.

Old 02-11-2009, 23:35   #17
paul1973
Blue pitbull

A 10 milimeter is only one milimeter bigger than a 9 milimeteer, that may not be enough for woodland creatures....
paul1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 00:08   #18
JoshuaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1973 View Post
A 10 milimeter is only one milimeter bigger than a 9 milimeteer, that may not be enough for woodland creatures....
And the .357 is just .1 mm bigger than the 9mm. The difference? The amount of powder behind the round and overall mass of the bullet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

JoshuaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 00:17   #19
paul1973
Blue pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaC View Post
And the .357 is just .1 mm bigger than the 9mm. The difference? The amount of powder behind the round and overall mass of the bullet.
I see your point.. Very true. Like .38 and .357 mag.
paul1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 00:25   #20
LABMAN
GLOCK 20SF 10MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1973 View Post
Well, it worked pretty well on the Cape Buffalo that Nugent shot...He took one with a G20...